Saturday, March 18, 2017

Smells like Saturday to me!

On the surface, it seems almost a little silly for a stay at home mom to look forward to the weekend. I mean, my days are all basically the same. But weekends, beautiful weekends, my husband is home when we all wake up instead of already being at work. We all lounge in our beds until our bladders make us move. Downstairs, the girls usually cozy up with their tablets and a blanket while he and i get the coffee flowing. The dog curls up with whichever kid is the warmest. Saturdays are Chris's unofficial day to make breakfast.

I'm not sure exactly how it happened but I think it was pancakes. I'm a pretty good cook. I experiment with recipes and usually get a good result. Pancakes, though? I can't make a good pancake to save my life! Chris is the king of pancakes. Perfectly golden, thick and fluffy, round and uniform. Every time. So, if the girls request pancakes for breakfast, the job goes to daddy. If he's working, I offer up french toast or, my favorite, waffles. If I recall correctly, the kids were on a pancake kick and kept asking for them. I tried and failed- seriously, why can't I do it?!- but the job waited for him for Saturday. And then again the next Saturday. And the next. So, the following week, he got up all prepared to make pancakes and they didn't want them so I got to choose. Omelette. Love me a good omelette! The trend of him cooking Saturday morning breakfast has just continued on from there.  Sometimes he takes requests, sometimes he freestyles it but it is always delicious. Always.

Today, he made omelettes for me and the little one. He made himself a sausage, egg and cheese sandwich. And the big kid declined his breakfast offerings and got herself some cereal.

We all have full bellies, the sun is shining, the coffee is flowing, the girls are getting along beautifully (subject to change at any moment, trust me!) and the dog has chosen me as the warmest to snuggle up to. The house smells delicious, I can see snow melting outside.... The Saturday-ness is palpable.

Whatever you do today, do it greatly. Be present. Focus on the people you're with instead of what's next, your phone or the growing to do list. Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment